Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency has established Central Laboratory for Environmental Analysis (CLEAN) in its premises at Islamabad. The Laboratory comprises of three sections i.e:
- Field Measurement
CLEAN is equipped with state of art computerized analytical equipment. The Laboratory has facilities for analyzing pollutants in air, water and soil beside toxicity levels in food stuffs and other products.
CLEAN has its regular environmental investigation programmes for air, water and soil pollution. Pak-EPA has conducted a latest research study with the assistant of JICA experts on air pollution with emphasis on suspended particulate matters in three major cities of the country. CLEAN is also conducted regular monitoring of air in Islamabad. Study on development of inventory of chemical used in industries has been carried out.
CLEAN has the capabilities of carrying out field activities using portable equipments viz. high volume samplers, DO, PH and Turbidity Meter along with other relevant equipments for compliance of National Environmental Quality Standards (NEQS).
CLEAN Works in the following Areas
- Analysis of municipal, industrial effluent and other environmental related samples
- Research/Investigation to identify different pollutant affecting public health
- Establish national procedures and methodologies for testing NEQS parameters
- Training to provincial Environmental Protection Agencies, Industrial sector and non-government organizations (NGOs)
- Propose amendments in the NEWS, if and where required based on the technical investigation
- Provides research facilities to different universities Institutions
Water Quality Monitoring of Lakes & Reservoir Around Islamabad
Recently concerns shown over water contamination in Rawal Lake & Simli dam due to human activities in the catchment areas of these reservoirs. Accordingly, JICA Senior Volunteer, stationed at Pak-EPA has planned a water quality monitoring of Rawal Lake, Simli Dam and Khan Pur Dam Water Reservoir.
Water Quality Parameters to be Covered
|DO, pH, Temperature,Turbidity,Conductivity||BOD, T-N, T-P, Mg2+, Na1+, K1+, (NO21+, SO42- Cl1-)Cd, Pb, Zn, Cu, Fe, COD, Cr, NO21-, SO42-, Cl1-, (T-N, T-P) (Mg2+, Na1+, K1+)|
Support of organizations namely Capital Development Authority, Islamabad, Water & Sanitation Agency, Rawalpindi, has been solicited in swift execution of the monitoring.