Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency has established Cental Laboratroy for Environmental Analysis & Networking (CLEAN) with state of art monitoring facilities and equipments where all parameters of National Environmental Quality Standards are being studied in different environmental fields;
- NEQS for drinking water
- NEQS for muncipal and liquid industrial efluents
- NEQS for ambient & industrial gaseous emission
- NEQS for vehicular exaust and noise
The equipment facilities available for testing and research in the field of air, water, soil, muncipal and liquid industrial efluents in CLEAN laboratory.
The Laboratory and NEQS Directorate comprises of :
- Lab/NEQS Section
- Research & Investigation (R & I) Section
1. Lab/NEQS Section:
- Develop and Implement National Environmental Quality Standard (NEQS).
- Collect samples of drinking water, industrial & muncipal effluents and analyze samples, report results and maintain records.
- Set procedures for sampling, transportation, storage and testing of samples.
- Monitoring of industrial sites/warehouses and making site inspection reports (SIRs).
- Water quality testing of reservoirs and filtration plant located in Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT).
- Issuance of Environmental Laboratory Certificate to different laboratories located in Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) under Environmental Laboratories Regulation, 2000.
- lnspection/Monitoring of complaints regarding environmental issues.
- Facilitate and assist research students of different universities as a supervisor in the field of Environmental Sciences.
2. Research & Investigation (R&I) Section:
- Carry out research in different enviornmental fields and provide technical support to enforcement / monitoring sections.
- Coordinate external research program with other agencies and universities and encourage / assist students in carrying out research for academic purposes.
- Make programs for educating general public to follow good environmental health practices.
- Coordinate with federal and provincial agencies in identification and development of project proposals.
- Coordinate with planning and development Division in project reviews with the approval of federal government seek for foreign assistance, as and when required.
- Develop in consultation with other concerned sectors work plans for EPA.
- Draft environmental policies and plans and those identified by the national coordination committee.
- Propose and implement mass awareness schemes, suggest environmental material for curriculum and syllabi.