Legal Enforcement (L/E) Directorate of Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency plays very significant role in enforcement and implementation of environmental laws and National Environmental Quality Standards (NEQS) besides promulgation of effective environmental legislation.
2. The L/E wing headed by Director is responsible to carry out following functions (assignments.
• Identify and overcome constraints affecting enforcement of environmental laws as well as National Environmental Quality Standards (NEQS).
• Determine need for new legislation, propose amendments in the existing laws, if required. In consultation with stakeholders, draft rules and regulations under Pakistan Environmental Protection Act, 1997.
• Provide legal opinion on any environmental issue which is under considerations in Pak-EPA.
• Upon confirmation of any violation by Environmental Monitoring Team, the legal section is required to submit proposal of cognizance under section 16 of Pakistan Environmental Protection Act, 1997.
• Serve Summon Notices or Environmental Protection Order (EPO) to the offender as and when required.
• Prepare cases for Environmental Protection Tribunal (EPT) or of appeals in the High Courts, as and when required.
• Attend subordinate and superior courts, (EPT) and submit the stance of government in the courts to defend the Federal Government.
• Coordinate with Environmental Magistrate in discharging their duties.
• Obtain search warrants for inspection of pollution sources.
• Undertake inquires or investigation in the environmental matters.
• Offer departmental views/comments on any proposed legislation of the other Govt. or Non -Governmental institutions.